5 Tips To Ensure You Are Successful With Your New Year’s Resolutions

Posted on Updated on

Have you given any thought to a potential New Year’s resolution you want to achieve in 2014? The new year is literally right around the corner which means it’s the perfect time to start thinking about something you would like to accomplish over the next 365 days.

Want to learn a new hobby or sport? What about quitting smoking? Completely cleaning your home from top to bottom? Or what about one of the most popular resolutions – lose weight and get in shape?

Regardless of what goal you set for yourself, having a specific plan of attack will help see to it you stay focused and on task. Here are 5 tips to help ensure you are successful with your New Year’s resolution.

Set Small Goals To Strive Towards
It can feel like an overwhelming chore if you attempt to take on your entire resolution all at once. Typical goals such as “I want to lose 100 pounds” or “I want to run a marathon in under three hours” can put a hefty amount of pressure on your shoulders making it seem impossible. Break the goal into smaller, more manageable parts to make it easier for you.

If you have a resolution to lose 100 pounds, what smaller goals will help you attain this? Focus on eating healthy and getting regular exercise one week at a time. Taking one week at a time will let you focus all your attention on seven-day blocks of time and the cumulative successes week after week will eventually allow you meet your overall resolution.

Plan Out Your Day
Write down specifically what you plan to do each day to work towards achieving your resolution. Having a written plan can really help you stay focused on your tasks giving you a constant reminder of what needs to be done. A checklist can be a fantastic motivator as you get accustomed to your new habits. Maintain a daily journal in order to keep your entire process in chronological order from start to finish. If that’s not convenient, a simple post-it note or piece of paper you keep in your pocket with your “to do” list is the next best thing.

Reflect On Your Progress
Spend a moment at the end of each day to reflect on how everything went. Did you accomplish the objectives you initially planned on your ‘to-do’ list? What went well? What didn’t? Use this time to plan out the next day’s events so you’ll have a guide to use the following day. Getting into this daily routine puts your resolution at the forefront of your mind which will help keep you focused working towards your goal.

Stick With It Even With Setbacks
There may be setbacks from time to time as you strive towards accomplishing your New Year’s resolution, but try not to let them get you down. Remember, you are taking on a new skill or changing your lifestyle so naturally there’s going to be a learning curve to overcome. If there is a minor setback, simply revise your plan and get back to work. Don’t dwell on the minor inconvenience, but rather keep your end goal in mind. A setback is just a temporary delay whereas quitting is permanent – something you definitely do not want to happen.

Change Takes Time and Commitment
Depending on how large or complex your resolution is, don’t expect to be successful overnight. Change takes a certain amount of time along with a consistent effort. In other words, you won’t shed 100 pounds in two weeks or even a month. However, when this time comes around the following year, you may be able to look back and delight at the absence of all that weight you used to carry around with you or admire the new skill/hobby/task you accomplished.

New Year’s resolutions can be a great motivational opportunity to help you achieve a goal that’s important to you. Use these 5 tips and you will better your chances of coming out on top and increase the likelihood of success. Statistics claim that only 8% of New Year’s resolutions are actually accomplished. Improve your chances of success so that you aren’t among the 92% that fail, especially if this is a resolution you truly want to achieve.

By: Gregory L. Gomez

5 Tips To Ensure You Are Successful With Your New Year’s Resolutions

new years resolutions, nutrition, Diet, Losing Weight, fitspiration, health, Weight Loss, Lose Weight

via The Best Weight Loss http://besttips2.blogspot.com/2013/12/5-tips-to-ensure-you-are-successful.html

Advertisements

One thought on “5 Tips To Ensure You Are Successful With Your New Year’s Resolutions

    […] 5 Tips To Ensure You Are Successful With Your New Year’s Resolutions (besttips2.wordpress.com) […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s